Registration for the Bozeman HS/Gallatin HS NICA Team has closed for 2022. The Bozeman HS and Gallatin HS NICA Team is only open to kids living and attending school within the Bozeman School District (including private and homeschool!) and are in the pipeline to attend either Bozeman HS or Gallatin HS. This team is not appropriate for families just visiting the area for the summer. Please see the FAQ page for details on this.
Bozeman/Gallatin HS NICA Team Fees (2022) – $450 MS/$475 HS total:
- $225 Bozeman/Gallatin HS NICA Team Program Fee (our local team fee; required)
- $225 MS or $250 HS (required; non-refundable) you pay to NICA Pit Zone after team registration. Includes: NICA National fee + insurance + Montana NICA League fee + entry into ALL 5 Montana NICA League races
**Scholarships are available thanks to our generous sponsors! Please visit our scholarship page. Applications must be completed by April 10th, 2022. In addition, we continue to seek additional sponsors and donations that enable us to financially support the team. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or making a tax-deductible financial contribution to Bozeman Youth Cycling and the Bozeman NICA Team, please reach out to us or make your donation online HERE.
**Please remember the Bozeman/Gallatin HS NICA Team is a cross-country mountain bike team (not enduro or downhill).
Before You Register:
BEFORE YOU REGISTER: As with all things, our NICA team is evolving. We love our team and we want you on our team. We work hard to create a strong team community where every athlete is a part of contributing to something bigger than themselves. With this in mind, please consider these TEAM PRACTICE REQUIREMENTS:
- PRACTICES – To build the best possible team experience for all we have arrived at a place where implementing attendance requirements makes sense. There are 15 weeks in our NICA season and we are asking our student-athletes to attend 1 practice per week (or a minimum of 15 practices during the season). We love that our student-athletes are involved in other sports and activities (you should be!) but we ask that you have an honest conversation with your family if this fits in your calendar.
- RACES – There are 5 races in the Montana NICA League this season and we ask that each athlete attend a minimum of 1 race. You do not have to race – being there is an important part of our team community! Please see the Montana NICA League for the race series dates and locations.
- HEALTH – The Bozeman HS and Gallatin HS NICA Teams do require a sports physical from a healthcare provider for every student-athlete before they are able to participate in their first team practice. This is a typical Bozeman School District requirement. If your child has had a sports physical during the 21-22 school year in another sport, that counts!
- CONCUSSIONS – This year the Bozeman HS and Gallatin HS NICA Teams are requiring Impact Baseline Concussion testing for ALL student-athletes in grades 8th thru 12th. This is an online computer test the student-athlete can complete at home in less than 30 mins. The cost of the baseline concussion testing will be covered by Bozeman Youth Cycling.
- Our sponsor APRS Physical Therapy recommends a more comprehensive in-person baseline concussion test to accompany the online Impact test. This is optional, but encouraged – especially for the kids in 6th/7th grades not old enough for the Impact Baseline test. Please reach out to them directly to schedule an appointment – take advantage of this opportunity!
*Student-athletes who meet ALL the practice requirements will have priority registration for the following season.
*Parents will also need to sign waivers for Bozeman Youth Cycling and Crosscut.
Spring and Summer Practice Schedule (2022)
May/June 2022: Pre-season events (these are HIGHLY encouraged to attend!):
- Wednesday, May 4 @ 7pm – Online Parent Info Meeting
- Sunday, May 15 @ 5pm – Coaches Pit Zone Registration How To
- Thursday, June 16 @ 6pm – Fix-a-Flat Clinic for Coaches (only; Valley West Park Pavilion)
- Sunday, June 19 @ 4pm – Student-Athlete Team Meetings (Bozeman Ponds Pavilion, near Owenhouse Ace Hardware West Store)
- Wednesday, June 22 @ 5pm – Bike Check and Helmet Fit (Lindley Center)
- Wednesday, June 29 @ 9am – Skills Carnival for High School (Lindley Center)
- Wednesday, June 29 @ 5pm – Skills Carnival for Middle School (Lindley Center)
- Friday, July 1st – First practice evening for the team!
July/August 2022: Bozeman NICA Team practices will take place 2 to 3 days per week, per the following schedule:
- Monday – Entire Team – 5:15pm to 7:15pm – Crosscut Mountain Sports Center
- Wednesday – High School Team – 9am to 11am – Town Trails (Sunset Hills/Lindley/Highland Glen/Painted Hills/Triple Tree trails)
- Wednesday – Middle School Team – 4:45pm to 6:30pm – Town Trails (Sunset Hills/Lindley/Highland Glen/Painted Hills/Triple Tree trails)
- Friday evening/Saturday morning – approximately every other week ONLY, mixed locations (town trails, Crosscut or Copper City)
September/October 2022: Bozeman NICA Team practices will continue to take place 1-2 days per week during September and part of October!
- Mondays and Wednesdays 4:15pm to 5:45pm – town trails
- Check TeamReach for most up-to-date practice schedule!
We realize that not every participant will make every practice – and that’s okay!
Come when you can! But please see practice requirement details above.
TRAIL WORK: We love contributing to our trail systems and we love supporting our team partners Crosscut Mountain Sports Center and GVLT. We will have trail work days scheduled this summer. Please try and sign-up for at least one trail work event! More trail work = more trails and features to bike on!
Please see our full summer season calendar HERE (coming soon).
The Bozeman NICA Team is committed to creating a sense of community and excitement around mountain biking. One of the ways we accomplish this is by asking you, the parents, to be involved! There are volunteer opportunities for everyone: we need lots of parents willing to ride with groups at practice (and, no, you don’t need to be an expert!) but we also need parents to help with carpooling, team communications, fundraising, travel and food logistics for races, and much, much more. Please reach out to get involved – WE NEED YOU!
The Bozeman NICA Team is all about having fun, teaching skills, enhancing fitness, and building confidence on the bike. We believe cycling has the added ability to instill skills that will benefit students well into their adult lives, whether a rider races or remains a recreational cyclist, and we want students to first and foremost discover those life skills.
Many of our participants may want to try racing or strengthen their love for cycling by racing. The newly-formed Montana NICA League will be hosting five cross-country races this fall. As we know from previous seasons – these races are guaranteed to be fun, community-building events, as well a chance to meet youth riders from around the state. However, racing is optional and nobody will be pressured to race.