Registration for the Bozeman/Gallatin HS NICA Team has CLOSED. In order to hear about future open spots on the team, please add your child’s name to our waiting list HERE (for kids going into middle school/high school in Fall of 2021). The Bozeman HS and Gallatin HS NICA Team is only open to kids living within the Bozeman School District (including homeschool!). This team is not appropriate for families just visiting the area for the summer. Please see the FAQ page for details on this.
Bozeman NICA Team Fees (2021):
- $200 Bozeman NICA Team Program Fee (required)
- $67.50 NICA National fee + insurance (required, non-refundable)
- $45 Montana NICA League fee (required)
- $25/$35 (middle school/high school) optional race entry fee (per race)
**Scholarships are available thanks to our generous sponsors! Please visit our scholarship page. In addition, we continue to seek additional sponsors and donations that enable us to financially support the team. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or making a tax-deductible financial contribution to Bozeman Youth Cycling and the Bozeman NICA Team, please reach out to us or make your donation online HERE.
**Please remember the Bozeman NICA Teams are a cross-country mountain bike team (not enduro or downhill).
Before You Register:
BEFORE YOU REGISTER: As with all things, our NICA team is evolving. We love our team and we want you on our team. We work hard to create a strong team community where every athlete is a part of contributing to something bigger than themselves. With this in mind, please consider these TEAM PRACTICE REQUIREMENTS:
- PRACTICES – To build the best possible team experience for all we have arrived at a place where implementing attendance requirements makes sense. There are 15 weeks in our NICA season and we are asking our student-athletes to attend 1 practice per week (or a minimum of 10 practices during the season). We love that our student-athletes are involved in other sports and activities (you should be!) but we ask that you have an honest conversation with your family if this fits in your calendar.
- RACES – There are 5 races in the Montana NICA League this season and we ask that each athlete attend a minimum of 1 race. You do not have to race – being there is an important part of our team community! Please see the Montana NICA League for the race series dates and locations.
- HEALTH – This year the Bozeman HS and Gallatin HS NICA Teams will require a sports physical from a healthcare provider for every student-athlete before they are able to participate in their first team practice. This is a typical Bozeman School District requirement. If your child has had a sports physical during the 20-21 school year in another sport, that counts!
- CONCUSSIONS – This year the Bozeman HS and Gallatin HS NICA Teams are requiring Impact Baseline Concussion testing for ALL student-athletes in grades 8th thru 12th. This is an online computer test the student-athlete can complete at home in less than 30 mins. The cost of the baseline concussion testing will be covered by Bozeman Youth Cycling.
- Our sponsor APRS Physical Therapy recommends a more comprehensive in-person baseline concussion test to accompany the online Impact test. This is optional, but encouraged. Please reach out to them directly to schedule an appointment – take advantage of this opportunity!
- The recommendation for Impact Baseline Concussion testing is every other year for kids 13 – 18 years old. If your child starts with us this year in 8th grade, they will complete the test in 8th, 10th and 12th grades (unless they suffer from a concussion during a year, then it’s annual).
Spring and Summer Practice Schedule (2021)
May/June 2021: Pre-season events (these are HIGHLY encouraged to attend!): Pre-Season Dates are Still Tentative!
- Sunday, May 23 Online – Parent Info Meeting
- Monday, June 14 – Student-Athlete Team Meetings
- Wednesday, June 16 – Bike Check and Helmet Fit at the Lindley Center. You must have your bike and helmet checked-out prior to the riding season!!
- Saturday, June 19 – Basic Bike Mechanic 101 for Coaches (only)
- Monday, June 21 – Fix-a-Flat Clinics for Student-Athletes
- Wednesday, June 23 – Skills Carnival for Middle School
- Wednesday, June 30 – Skills Carnival for High School
- Friday, July 2nd – First practice evening for the team!
July/August 2021: Bozeman NICA Team practices will take place 2 to 3 days per week, per the following schedule:
- Monday – Entire Team – 5:15pm to 7:15pm – Crosscut Mountain Sports Center
- Wednesday – High School Team – 9am to 11am – Town Trails (Sunset Hills/Lindley/Highland Glen/Painted Hills/Triple Tree trails)
- Wednesday – Middle School Team – 4:45pm to 6:30pm – Town Trails (Sunset Hills/Lindley/Highland Glen/Painted Hills/Triple Tree trails)
- Friday 4:00pm to 5:30pm/Saturday mornings – approximately every other week ONLY, mixed locations (town trails, Crosscut or Copper City)
September/October 2020: Bozeman NICA Team practices will continue to take place 1-2 days per week during September and part of October!
- Mondays and Wednesdays 4:15pm to 5:45pm – town trails
- Check TeamReach for most up-to-date practice schedule!
We realize that not every participant will make every practice – and that’s okay!
Come when you can! But please see practice requirement details above.
TRAIL WORK: We love contributing to our trail systems and we love supporting our team partners Crosscut Mountain Sports Center and GVLT. We will have trail work days scheduled this summer. Please try and sign-up for at least one trail work event! More trail work = more trails and features to bike on!
Please see our full summer season calendar HERE.
The Bozeman NICA Team is committed to creating a sense of community and excitement around mountain biking. One of the ways we accomplish this is by asking you, the parents, to be involved! There are volunteer opportunities for everyone: we need lots of parents willing to ride with groups at practice (and, no, you don’t need to be an expert!) but we also need parents to help with carpooling, team communications, fundraising, travel and food logistics for races, and much, much more. Please reach out to get involved – WE NEED YOU!
The Bozeman NICA Team is all about having fun, teaching skills, enhancing fitness, and building confidence on the bike. We believe cycling has the added ability to instill skills that will benefit students well into their adult lives, whether a rider races or remains a recreational cyclist, and we want students to first and foremost discover those life skills.
Many of our participants may want to try racing or strengthen their love for cycling by racing. The newly-formed Montana NICA League will be hosting five cross-country races this fall. As we know from previous seasons – these races are guaranteed to be fun, community-building events, as well a chance to meet youth riders from around the state. However, racing is optional and nobody will be pressured to race.